On June 5th (May 23rd by the old calendar) the Church commemorates the venerable Saint Euphrosyne, Princess of Polotsk.
St. Euphrosyne, born Princess Predislava, was the daughter of Prince George Vseslavovich of Polotsk. At the age of 12 she secretly became a nun, and with the blessing of her ruling bishop, settled in Polotsk at the church of St. Sophia. There she spent time in prayer and the copying of holy books. Soon an angel appeared to her thrice, commanding her to found a nun’s convent, in which, by God’s will, she was destined to lead many to salvation. The venerable saint founded the convent of Christ the Saviour on a site belonging to the bishops of Polotsk, and many maidens gathered there. The saint also persuaded her sisters and many female relatives to take the veil. Upon reaching a venerable age, St. Euphrosyne made a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, where she reposed on May 23, 1173 and was buried in the monastery of St. Theodosius in Jerusalem. In 1186 her holy relics were translated to the Kievan Caves monastery, and in 1911 they were translated from Kiev to Polotsk.